Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Friday 27 April 2018

HEY BIG SPENDER

Back in the 1960’s before the introduction of decimal coinage to Britain, in an era before satellite television, mobile phones and personal computers, people used a monetary system that nowadays seems positively quaint.
The British pound's value was comprised of twenty shillings and each shilling was made up of twelve pence.
Along with the standard pound note, there was a smaller ten shilling note. Additionally there were four silver coins: a half-crown, florin, shilling and sixpence. Smaller values included a three pence coin (often referred to as ‘thrupence’ or a ‘thrup'ny bit’), a penny, half-penny and a farthing. 
There is no coin that is a direct equivalent of the old three pence coin today.
The ‘thrup'ny’ bit was a pleasant coin to handle. It had a satisfying, chunky feel and a child with one in his pocket could feel safe in the knowledge that its spending power would provide a cornucopia of treats.





















COIN       

It’s under glass therefore I have to ask
the junk-shop man to let me have a look.
He brings it out: a chunky three-pence piece
from back when pence were signified by 'd',
two-forty to a pound, a shilling, twelve.
We called them Thrup’ney Bits back in the days
when three dee could have bought treats by the score:
a Dandy or a Beano, licorice,
or sarsparilla, pop or bubble gum.
I stand and weigh it in my adult palm.
Thru'pence ... so curious, so oddly obsolete.
Worth now? I’ll take a fiver, says the man,
but I refuse and hand the small coin back
then leave the shop, continue on my way,
childhood alive again, my footsteps slow
my wallet undisturbed, my mind less so.



No comments:

Post a Comment