Bordeaux Bay

Bordeaux Bay
Bordeaux Bay by Guernsey-based artist Tony Taylor

Wednesday 4 October 2017

RIBBITING ON

It's a bizarre experience, on a damp autumnal night, to encounter a large gathering of amphibians on one's doorstep. 
There are those who might find such an experience unnerving but I considered their unexpected presence propitious and cause for celebration.



FROGS

Tonight, on flagstones, drawn by rain,
frogs have congregated.
Drizzle falls gently,
like acupuncture needles,
on slick, camouflaged skin.
They squat there,
a dozen Buddhist monks,
bulbous eyes blinking.
My torchlight does not disturb them.
Rhythmically,
synchronistically,
their leather throats pulsate.


2 comments:

  1. I like your descriptions of the frogs, camouflaged Budist monks conjures some interesting images in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite recording this multiple frog sighting in a poem, don't think I've quite captured the absolute otherness of it. A spooky moment!

    ReplyDelete